Day Centres — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Day Centres

Nicole65
Nicole65 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I'm living in Australia at the moment and hope to return to the UK with my profoundly disabled adult son (in his early 20's). He currently attends a day centre 5 days a week from 9.00am to 3.00pm. He is very happy and enjoys the company of his peer group. He has lots of options for activities either in the centre or going out for day trips. I really don't understand the UK system and would appreciate any advice. Are there similar day centres in the UK? are their opening hours the same?

Comments

• VickyS
    VickyS Community member Posts: 129 Connected
    Hi Nicole65,

I think it's unlikely that all areas of the UK will have an appropriate day centre for your son and opening hours will depend on each individual service. Therefore it will all depend on where you are looking to move to within the UK!

Vicky xx
  • Minimum
    Minimum Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    One of the problems is that if you get in touch with social services, they don't always tell you all the providers in the area. Where I live there are some great services available for younger disabled adults- charity run, but some social workers won't always tell people about them as they cost more than the council run services. Wherever you decide to live, get in touch with any parent support groups if you can, as they will advise you better. Good luck with your move back to the UK

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.