Working parents? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Working parents?

CaroleCr
CaroleCr Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Is anyone else here a single parent, working full time as well as care for their child...if so please tell me how you do it as I'm finding it impossible to find any employer that is happy to accommodate me

Comments

• Louweb93
    Louweb93 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi, Im a single mum and I work 35 - 40 hours a week, leaving the house at 7am and not returning until 6:30/7pm.

I'm employed as a Personal Assistant and am lucky my boss gives me unpaid time off for my sons appointments. He is 2 and a half and has Cerebral Palsy. He goes to full time nursery which he loves and I pay for.

Most employers can be accommodating if you are honest. How many appointments do you have to go to? Can you use holiday for the appointments? Can you make the time up? etc...Always worth saying you will use your work holiday for the time off.

If you would like more information or have questions, feel free to contact me :)
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
  • CaroleCr
    edited January 2016
    Thank you Jean
  • CaroleCr
    Lou, I do all of that but have been declined roles, sidelined, had contracts ended and now probation extended because of my commitments...this is with both large and small companies. I worked over 20 years prior to this problem without issue and the roles are similar so I can't believe that it is 'just me'. My son has multiple issues and I also have to negotiate with the school regarding his SEN and other problems there. I make up all my time but it can range from 1 to over 6 hours per month. If its an appointment where I need a whole day I'll take holiday or occasionally carers leave. It's just very tough and even employers that you think would be understanding haven't been.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.