Adjustments’, to NEW GSCE’s exam marking To take into account CP/ inability to rely solely on memory — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Adjustments’, to NEW GSCE’s exam marking To take into account CP/ inability to rely solely on memory

Options
ValParentChildwithCP
ValParentChildwithCP Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Under the new scheme introduced this year, which removed all course work that contributed to a final exam result. No consideration or adjustments’ has been for the 100’s of children with Cerebral Palsy, with cognitive impairment such as impaired memory putting them at a 100% disadvantage, condemning them to a future without academic qualification. Infact they increase the barriers to disabled people accessing education opportunities in schools and later on in colleges and universities. Condemning them to a life of low salary employment – IF ANY at the age of 16.
I am seeking a just ‘adjustments’, be made to take into account this disability; for example;
# Inclusion of course work into the final grade;
# an open book example; and so on
Extra time in an exam for an individual, who has difficulties with memory and processing information, is of little use and in no way addresses the imbalance and the discriminatory nature of these exams.
Valerie Mitchell. (Parent).

Comments

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 504 Pioneering
    Options
    I couldn't agree more...and I tried to raise some of the issues around GCSEs with Scope about 3 years ago but they just were not interested (or at least it was not high enough up the priority list)  BUT it is essential cos what is the point in pushing for decent educational provision (statements, EHCPs, proper inclusion etc) if at the end of it the kids cannot actually sit the exams.  I am currently working as an invigilator at our local high school and it is VERY interesting to actually see how the rules for "access arrangements" work, and how they simply fail some students.  I am aware that an educationalist in the disability field, who has in the past had some quite contstructive dialogue with Ofqal, is increasingly alarmed at how things are going and so it may be that there will be some sort of working group set up.  it would be great if Scope would actually grasp the nettle.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.