My daughter — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My daughter

Options
ames36
ames36 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ask an Educational Psychologist.

Comments

• ames36
    ames36 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    My daughter is year 3 (7 11 months) in an independent school and has been receiving a half an hour's extra support per week for the last two years for query dyslexia. This involves phonics with a support teacher. The SENCO has done various tests and has suggested we wait until year 4 before she is formally assessed by an EP. Her reading is ATOL 3.6 so I think she is about right for that, her spelling is awful and we are only making progress with the introduction of a word box at home and copious repetition and multi-sensory strategies. She doesn't like writing but can write OK when she tries. She is finding Maths difficult, in particular learning her times tables. The school reports that she seems to understand Maths but works very slowly. Her class teacher seems on the ball and tailors her work appropriately. My questions are:
    1) Is half an hour a week enough?
    2) Would having an ed psyche report help at this stage?
    3) Would an ed psyche report have to be done privately because we are in the private system?

Thanks for your advice.
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Options
    Hello Ames36, please scroll down...

1) Is half an hour a week enough? You would need an assessment to fully understand your daughter's strengths and needs, and for recommendations as to type and length of interventions.

2) Would having an ed psyche report help at this stage? No need to wait until year 4, she can be assessed now. Assessment would help you to understand strengths/difficulties and what needs to be put in place with regards to her learning.

3) Would an ed psyche report have to be done privately because we are in the private system? In theory no, she is entitled to access Local Authority Services. In practice yes, as such services are limited in time and may not offer assessment services, just consultation. If you seek a private assessment, please note that the school are likely to expect you to fund any interventions that are recommended, as they are an independent provision.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.