I am currently working as an Assistant Psychologist — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am currently working as an Assistant Psychologist

AP101
AP101 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hello my name is Hannah and I'm an educational psychologist.

Comments

• AP101
    AP101 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Hannah,

I am currently working as an Assistant Psychologist. I am hoping to start my doctorate soon. Just wondering what would happen if a parent threatened an educational psychologist with legal action? What would/should the/they EP do then? How would the EP deal with this situation?

Also what would the EP do if the parents wanted to write a written complaint to the headteacher with regards to the lack of progress their child is making? How would the EP show progress/impact?

Regards,
    AP101
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Hello AP101,
    Have you had a parent make such threats/complaints? It is hard to answer without knowing specific information. I would suggest contacting you supervisor and the Association of Educational Psychologists for advice.
    With regards to parents complaining to a headteacher about lack of pupil progress, that is a school issue. It is not an EPs responsibility to ensure pupil progress. Our role is to help adults better understand a child's strengths and needs, then make recommendations for how they can be supported to make progress. EPs also provide training and focused interventions/research projects in a wide variety of areas.
    Good luck with your doctorate.
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Hello AP101,
    If you have concerns about the interpersonal skills of your child's teacher, in the first instance you should speak to senior management and follow school complaint procedures as needed. EPs can employ a variety of strategies if working directly with staff, but which strategy would depend on the individual situation and context. Examples include problem-solving groups, personal construct psychology, solution-focused consultation, etc. Again, there are various ways to measure the impact of strategies, such as scaling, observations, questionnaires. It may well be that training is required. The important thing to remember is that relationships need to be understood within the context of their environment and community, and addressed at these levels too, which is why it is important to speak with senior management about your concerns.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.