little boy who's just been given diagnosis of cortical dysplasia. He's constantly poking his eye — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

little boy who's just been given diagnosis of cortical dysplasia. He's constantly poking his eye

Options

Comments

• frenchy
    frenchy Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    little boy who has just been given a diagnosis of cortical dysplasia. He is constantly poking his right eye. He pushes his finger into the corner of his eye and has made it very sore, his mum is worried that he will actualy push his eye out soon. Do you have any suggestions please
  • BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Options
    Hi, sorry I'm not going to be much help here, I've no professional experience with children and very little with cortical dysplasia. Is there a link between the epilepsy and vision? Is it an aura thing? Maybe the epliepsy society can provide more details re any potential links between the diagnosis and visual difficulties. You don't mention if the little boy has any other diagnosis. There may be no link and therefore possibly the behaviour should be analysed on it's own. I have known visually impaired people poke their eyes for additional visual stimuli and it can be difficult to find a replacement bhvr but I'm not sure if this is why the little boy is doing the behaviour. Maybe a referral to the peadiatric OT team would help identify why he is doing this and then offer solutions.
  • frenchy
    frenchy Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for that, he does not actually have epilepsy so i think it must be to do with his vision, have since managed to get an appointment with a paediatric OT for him so hopefully she will have some ideas
  • BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Options
    Sorry about that, my only experience with adults with cortical dysplasia is the link with epilepsy. Glad to hear you have managed to get an appointment with a paediatric OT - think we need one on here!!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.