Is there anything an OT can do with a teenager to help develop empathy/ understanding of others? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there anything an OT can do with a teenager to help develop empathy/ understanding of others?

Options

Comments

• bayley
    bayley Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hello :)
    Can you please tell me if there is anything that an OT can do with a teenager to help develop empathy/ understanding of others? My son is going through transition into adult services and has aspergers. I am worried how vulnerable his extremely limited theory of mind is, but cannot find any intervention to suggest. His school says there is nothing that can be done, and I need to accept this is just how he is.
    I've tried researching on the internet but can't find anything. He shows no emotions at all relating to other people, even a teacher dying at school during the school day had no affect on him whatsoever.
    Thank you for any help you can give! Not sure where else to ask...

Bayley
  • BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Options
    Hi Bayley, Don't think I can answer your question very well, sorry! I've not heard of any successful interventions that can develop theory of mind - but it may develop with time as he goes through adolescence. Social stories may be beneficial to help him to learn what appropriate "reactions" are in situations that demand empathy which will help him to "fit in" but I'm not sure that you can teach him what to feel. Has Clinical Psychology been involved - they might have some suggestions??
    It might also be worth posting on the main forum to see if others can help out.
    So sorry that I can't help :( Arlene

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.