I look after a 44yr old lady with profound leaning disability. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I look after a 44yr old lady with profound leaning disability.

Options

Comments

• shazza2
    shazza2 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    hi arlene.need alittle help.im a support worker.i look after a 44yr old lady with profound leaning dissability.3 yrs ago she moved in to a supported living.she has always beenable to walk with rolater but is hoisted into chair or bed.county council now want her to move .they are saying she cannot use her rolater anymore or sit on toilet.they have even got o.t to say this what can i do to convince that this lady can do this.ive worked with this lady 8yrs and know her far better than anyone else.we have never had prob with her walking with rolater or using toilet.am.can she use another o.t and can i get advice from doctor.i feel they are just trying to get her out of flat.shazza
  • BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Options
    Hi Shazza, this is a really tricky one and without knowing all the details it's difficult to advise. . Does the lady have an advocate? If not, you might be able to refer her to a local organisation and the advocate will then be able to attend the meetings in which decisions are being made about her future.
    Have you seen the report from the OT? It may be that her strength is deteriorating and the OT believes that the risk is increasing. However if she currently uses a hoist and rollator in her home then I assume her current residence should still be fully accessible to her changing needs. Depending on her tenancy agreement - she will have rights as a tenant and therefore it is a different level of support that she requires rather than a new home. You should be able to check this out on the Internet - tenancy rights are the same for everyone.
    Can you refer to physio? They may have a different view than OT?
    If the ladies family can give you consent then you could use photographic / video evidence of her transfer skills to back up your case.
    Good luck and do let us know how you get on. Arlene

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.