One client in particular tends to mumble, speak very quickly and doesn't tend to use full words. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

One client in particular tends to mumble, speak very quickly and doesn't tend to use full words.

Options
HelenT
HelenT Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments

Comments

• HelenT
    HelenT Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Chris,
    I am an activities co-ordinator for a CIC (a not for profit organisation) called E.L.I.T.E who promote independent living for adults 16 and over who are less able or disabled. I deal with many people ranging from people with autism to learning difficulties to cerebal palsy. A few of my clients have problems with their speech. Once client in particular tends to mumble, speak very quickly and doesn't tend to use full words. He also stutters quite a bit. I know you work more with children, but wondered if you had any general advice for me to help him with his speech and to help others going forward? I am starting a numeracy and literacy class also, so could perhaps use techniques in these classes?
    Many Thanks in Advance
  • LondonSpeechTherapy
    LondonSpeechTherapy Community member Posts: 60 Connected
    Options
    Hi Helen, apologies for the very late response. Advice around speech sounds can be tricky without me knowing which sounds he finds difficult and also whereabouts in the words he finds them difficult too. From my work with adults with learning disabilities I often came across individuals who had difficulties with the clarity of their speech. One strategy is to work on interpersonal skills such such as visual prompts for the individual to: 1) face the person that they a talking to (I try not to emphasise 'eye contact' as this can lead to inappropriate staring etc), 2) supplement your speech with gestures/signing the keywords in the sentence, 3) use a 'louder' voice (when using a 'soft' voice adds to the unitelligbility), 4) remaining 'on topic' (eg knowing the context of the conversation can help you to follow less clear speech). Let me know if you have any other questions. Chris

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.