Narcolepsy — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Narcolepsy

jennie
jennie Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I have just recently discovered Scope and just wondered if many people in here are affected directly or indirectly by Narcolepsy and Cataplexy?  Mine is an invisible illness which can be great in some ways and a pain in other ways and I am always keen to find and talk with others who have a similar disability.  

Comments

• SofRoch
    SofRoch Community member Posts: 22 Listener

Hi Jennie,

Welcome to the Community! I don't have any experience of these conditions but just wondering if you've watched a recent television programme on channel 4 called Rescue Dog to Superdog. The first episode of this series dealt with a woman who had Narcolepsy and Cataplexy. They managed to train a rescue dog to help her when going out independently. This may be something you're already aware of and have seen, so apologies if that's the case. Just thought it might be of interest?

Take care

• QuestionMore
    QuestionMore Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited June 2016
    Hi @Jennie,
    I have similar issues (well controlled Epilepsy + usual drug side-effects) and have had Temporal Lobectomy brain surgery back in 1993 at the Nat. Hosp. for Neurology and Neurosurgery in Queen Sq, London.

My main issue is regaining employment following redundancy nearly 3 years ago.  With a MSc Computer Science degree and over 13 years technology management experience at O2, I keep getting interviews, but just don't get any offers.  I think I may be finding it particularly hard because of the epilepsy and the medication to recall examples where I have demonstrated skills and competencies, and articulate them quickly and concisely under interview constraints, leaving the interviewer with an inaccurate reflection of my true performance.  If only I were able to demonstrate any perceived gaps identified at interview during a trial on-the-job assessment period, by way of a 'Reasonable Adjustment' to the recruitment process due to my disability.  Unfortunately, the invisible nature of epilepsy lends suspicion to any claims or requests for help to level the playing field.

All feedback (good/bad) most welcome.
  • JenniferU
    JenniferU Community member Posts: 108 Pioneering
    Hi @QuestionMore, you can ask @Chell, our community employment advisor for advice too. You can post a question for her here: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/talk-to-a-pre-employment-advisor
  • DozyLowe19
    DozyLowe19 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Hello fellow PwN and a Jennie as well! ?
    I have Narco & Cataplexy and am exploring Scope to explore help and advice.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello there @DozyLowe19

I've done a bit of exploring for you and you might find these threads interesting:

Are you looking for any particular help and advice?  How are you managing your conditions at the moment?  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.