Has anyone solved the problem of independent living for an epileptic adult child? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone solved the problem of independent living for an epileptic adult child?

pippasparks
pippasparks Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My 30 year old daughter has epilepsy and aspergers. She lives at home and works 3 days a week. I am her carer, but am ever aware of my increasing age. I am trying to explore solutions for her future when I may not be able to provide a home and care for her.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Hello pippasparks - how have you been getting on with this? Has your daughter ever had a needs assessment done? https://www.gov.uk/apply-needs-assessment-social-services
  • tisszy
    tisszy Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    edited July 2016
    My 32 year old son had a Community Care assessment done and we learned a few things:

1. Have someone with you who can answer with and for you. Parents, because they care so much, are never fully objective. See if there's a Disabled Rights worker who can help. 

2. Go for Direct Payments so that the Carer can be chosen to suit your daughter. My son has a brilliant carer through this system - once you are awarded the care you are referred to a special organisation to help you through advertising and interviews etc. It helps the disabled person to feel more independent and if you, like me, are nowhere near as young as you'd look to be and worry about the future, you know the Carer can help alongside any family members. My son and I are so much better friends now the pressure has been shared like this. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.