I have mild c.p. I have always had problems of catching my tongue, lips whilst eating and talking. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have mild c.p. I have always had problems of catching my tongue, lips whilst eating and talking.

Options
humand12
humand12 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited May 2016 in Cerebral palsy
I have mild c.p. I have always had problems of catching my tongue, lips whilst eating and talking. I visit the dentist regularly, no problem there. My mouth is sore, I think I need to visit the chemist. Does this happen to anyone else?

Comments

• Moonstone2008
    Moonstone2008 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I have mild CP left side. I do catch tongue etc even after having a tongue tie released. Never figured out how to stop it as it's random or when I am tired
  • humand12
    Options
    Thank you for your comment. I have mild c.p on left side also. I've never heard of tongue tie released. Catching tongue etc. does get worse when I'm tired also emotions. More rest, I think even when I don't want to stop!
  • liayn85
    liayn85 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Options
    Yes, I have mild CP on the right side of my body and I definitely have a problem with that on occasion. Also, I have trouble chewing on my right side and I find food in that side of my mouth long after eating at times. I have noticed that the more intensive the chewing, such as with bread or meat, the more likely I am to do it, and also the more tired/stressed I am, etc. I would ask your dentist to make sure you do not have gum disease or a misalignment that could cause problems. I have receding gums on my left side from the overuse.
  • humand12
    Options
    Hi liayn, Thank you for your comment. I found out I had mild c.p, January 2015 I am 61. My story is in Scope. So I'm catching up  with problem areas! I  did tell my dentist that I found chewing hard, he asked my why I found it difficult? This was two weeks ago. I said I did not know. On thinking more about it, c.p seemed a likely cause. So as I write now, I feel that I should go back to the dentist and seek his advise. So thank you for prompting me.
  • humand12
    Options
    Hi liayn, Thank you for your comment. Having recently found out about having c.p, I have worked out that others with this condition also have chewing problems, resulting in a sore mouth. I have made an appointment to see the dentist so he can check that I don't have a misalignment or gum disease. Its worth a mention, he might offer some help.
  • the_velvet_girl
    the_velvet_girl Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Options
    I catch my gum on the left side when I'm speaking if I'm tired. I have misaligned teeth but my dentist when I was a teenager stated there was no point in braces as my jaw muscles were so tight they would pull my teeth out of alignment when the braces were removed. I was referred to an orthodontic surgeon to see if my jaw could be broken and reset to give me a better bite but he advized against it as it was "a long recovery for a small problem." Ice Cream is good for soothing a sore mouth as is Bonjela. I try to avoid lengthy conversations and don't eat when I'm tired.
  • Squigg
    Squigg Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Options
    I was in anogy when i had my braces and (headgear) it did make it difficult to eat then i got use to it, since then i have managed to pull a muscle in my jaw and got it checked out and luckily it's nothing major... so now i have to learn not to open my mouth so wide open, which is easily done aa it does get all clicky. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.