My sister has no motivation and I believe she thinks that she won't achieve anything in life — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My sister has no motivation and I believe she thinks that she won't achieve anything in life

Shauna
Shauna Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2016 in Education
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hello my name is Hannah and I'm an educational psychologist.

Comments

• Shauna
    Shauna Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Hannah,

I need your advice, in regards my younger sister who is 16. My sister is becoming more of a strain to the family due to her behaviour. She has cp which affects hers walking, speech, hand movements and balance. She will not do any excerise what so every. Which we are all trained to help her with. She will scream the house down to get her own way. I know she is well capable and is not stupid, my sister can buy and sell anyone. Thats what makes this situation more difficult. I have been reading on how cp affects people as they age and this is a real concern if we can't get her over this mental block that life will be very hard for her. At the moment my parents are dressing her, do all for her. Which is causing I believe to expect this throughout her lifw. But we all know that isn't the case. How can I get my dad not to fuel her dependency on him? He has her spoilt, she gets all she wants without working for it. She has no motivation and I believe she thinks that her life is not to achieve anything. Major helped needed. Thanks shauna
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Hello Shauna, thanks for your message, it sounds like you care about your family a great deal. Please bear with me while I think about the best advice to give you. Please could you also let me know whether you are over 18 years old?
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Hi Shauna,
    I understand that you think it would be helpful for your sister to be encouraged to increase her independence. Perhaps you would like to discuss this with someone at Scope, as they may be able to visit you at home and chat with your family as a whole. Or you may find it useful to contact the Scope helpline: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/question-for-the-helpline

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.