Listening to the children — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Listening to the children

Hedgehog
Hedgehog Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello Everyone

I live in Derbyshire and last year revived an activity day for children with additional needs, that was no longer funded/run by our Count Council. I am passionate about improving services for children with additional needs and am currently completing a degree in that field.

For a final project I am designing a research study - which although We don't get to carry it out - I am really interested to hear your views on.

The course has been around designing research with children - involving them in the design right through to the completion of the research so that you really get to know what is important for them - the researcher's call this - capturing the children's voices.

For my project I am asking - 'how can we capture the complex voices of children with additional needs and disabilities - when designing services for their needs - I have ideas - but really want to know your thoughts about how and to what degree your children can or cannot express themselves, and what might be done to help them - I'd also like to hear from you if you think its all bonkers!!!

Thank you 

Valerie.

Comments

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Hi Valerie, it's most definitely not bonkers!!! When I was working, it used to give me the rage when I saw 'X is non-verbal, so it is not possible to ascertain his views' :neutral: and now I am a mum, I know that really is a load of rubbish and woe betide anyone who puts that in a report I read!

My daughter has never spoken a word, but very clearly shows what she thinks about things - if you know her and want to know what she saying.  

If she had been somewhere, and we wanted to know if she liked it, I'd be asking the people there about her facial expressions, sounds, movements, what she looked at/ignored and tiny changes like if she had her hands in her mouth or not.  

I think photos/videos and notes on how many times she sucked her hand (or other known indicators) would give a focused and measurable way of recording her views - but it is obviously unique for each person. 
  • Hedgehog
    Hedgehog Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you - that is very useful 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.