Any advice on systems for my 7 year old daughter? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any advice on systems for my 7 year old daughter?

Options

Comments

• johannanoble
    johannanoble Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Kim,

my my daughter is 7 with DS and has severe expressive speech issues and speech dyspraxia. She can say some sentences when given signed prompts but unless we know what she wants to say first we can't help her. She is using some BSL but we can't access any training in our area. Together with her speech therapist we are considering a communication device so she can show us what she wants to say. Any advice on systems etc. She is pretty good with an iPad and visual timetables 

thanks 

jo
  • Kim_AssistiveTech
    Kim_AssistiveTech Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Kim,

my my daughter is 7 with DS and has severe expressive speech issues and speech dyspraxia. She can say some sentences when given signed prompts but unless we know what she wants to say first we can't help her. She is using some BSL but we can't access any training in our area. Together with her speech therapist we are considering a communication device so she can show us what she wants to say. Any advice on systems etc. She is pretty good with an iPad and visual timetables 

thanks 

jo
    Hi Jo, 
    Before spending any money on a communication aid it may be worth taking a look at some of the free apps you can get on the iPad. See how she gets on with those and let me know. From there I can recommend different technologies and particular language packages. 

Here's a link to some of the free communication packages for iPads. (From another post on the forum).

Let me know how your daughter gets on Jo :) 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.