activities for summer — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

activities for summer

myra20
myra20 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello, I am mum to a 20 year old daughter who has a severe learning disability. Currently I am working part-time on Wednesday from 9-12pm and 10am to 4pm on Thursdays. Since the summer holidays are just upon us I am at the end of my tether as I have no idea where I can drop off my daughter when I am at work. Are there any art classes or anything that she can attend in the area of Manchester? She is mobile but is very shy and introverted and doesn't ask for help if stuck . Obviously she would have to be in a safe place considering her vulnerability. Any advice would be GREATLY  appreciated!!

Comments

• socksoff
    socksoff Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Hi Myra20 - I can't help in the Manchester area but I think that the summer holidays can be a real difficulty for many parents of children or young people with additional needs.  It would be great to hear from others about any top tips for survival over the summer.  My son is 13 and often needs a visual timetable in the holidays as he's gets anxious when he doesn't know what is happening.  I also work part-time so I understand your difficulty.  Anyone out there got any good ideas to share?!
  • myra20
    myra20 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Socksoff, I know exactly what you mean!! This basically means that I will be out of work for a whole 6 weeks while I am caring for my daughter. I am sure that there must be art classes that children/adults with disabilities and learning difficulties can access. There is a place called Venture Arts in Manchester town center but they charge a whopping 35 quid for one day. You can well imaging the total cost if I was to send her there two or three times a week, unaffordable!
  • ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous

Hi Myra20

It's tough to lose 6 weeks worth of work!

If it doesn't have to be specifically art related, have you asked social services if there is a day centre or similar placement that your daughter can attend or if she can be awarded extra funding for respite care whilst you are working over the summer?

Scope do have a community service in the Manchester area http://www.scope.org.uk/support/services-directory/community-support-disabled-adults-Manchester  0161 787 7239 but unfortunately it is not a free service and needs to be paid for. It may be worth giving them a ring to find out more about the service, prices, and if appropriate, inform social services of this.

As your daughter has a learning disability, have you tried Mencap also as they sometimes have local groups, and see what they might have available https://www.mencap.org.uk/ 0808 808 1111

I have also asked my colleague covering this area if he knows of anywhere...if so, I will post additional info in the next few days.

best wishes

Scope Helpline

• ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous

HI Myra20

Bit of additional info: Not sure if Stockport would be too far for you but I have been informed that Disability Stockport may have possible activities 0161 480 7248.

Stockport CP appear to have lots of activities also although it is probably just for people with cerebral palsy. It may be worth giving them a try though if you are desperate, just to see if they do accept people with other disabilities at all 0161 432 1248.

best wishes

Scope Helpline

• Jackie
    Jackie Community member Posts: 24 Connected

Hi There

Have you tried contacting your local branch of Contact a Family in the NW as they will have up to date information on local activities for children and young people with additional needs: Although your daughter is 20 I am sure they will be able to signpost you to other local networks:

http://www.cafamily.org.uk/advice-and-support/in-your-area/offices/north-west/

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.