disability through mental illness and care and living arrangements in later life — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

disability through mental illness and care and living arrangements in later life

Options
pip
pip Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
hello my name is Philip, I'm part disabled through an enduring mental illness, 59 and single, I live in the family home with my dear elderly frail mum, we care for each other.

I am worried if I lost dear mum, we are close and she understands my condition and cares, my consultant agrees that a fully independent living would be beyond me, I have suffered quite long with this and I wouldn't want to live in a flat on my own, though I can stay in the family home.

Does anyone have a similar situation or suggestions? the charity independent age mentioned extra care housing, as mum would like to move to north wales, I found one online there, if we don't go I doubt she would go into one here; you buy or rent your own place but have help to live there 24/7 and there's social things, you have to have assessed needs, then a reverend at my church told me about Croydon almshouses where she was a chaplain and how good they were, care and companionship, a sense of belonging, family are things I would like.

does anyone or their relatives have experience of these types of housing and living? Thankyou

Comments

• unluckyglo
    unluckyglo Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Most towns have what you are looking for called assisted living. Some offer meals others don't. All have a community room. Not sure who would be best for you to contact, as so many variables. Age UK have many advisers so could try there first. Hope this helps a little
  • pip
    pip Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    Options
    thankyou unlucky goo, I hadn't thought of asking the local ageuk, my befriender from carers support I can ask too, if we moved together then there would need to be a smaller place, care and support, and a social/ belonging- mum is elderly/ frail and I've a psychiatric history/ disability. i have to think if I'd benefit from the change of location, the new social life and level of independence. at least we can take a look at what's around locally or in north wales, or by my sister, for the foreseeable we stay here in the family home, which mum forgets is hers!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.