Children's Books...? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Children's Books...?

Chrissy3012
Chrissy3012 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hi everyone!

My name is Chrissy and I'm a Primary School Teacher in a mainstream school.  Recently a child in my class asked me if I knew any books or movies about Princesses who were disabled.  I did some research and realised that actually there seemed to be very few books which weren't solely about disability which included disabled characters. 

Now, despite a small amount of experience working in a school for children with MLD, and children in my current setting who have SEND as well as a brother who has Downs Syndrome, I'm pretty lacking in knowledge as far as this area is concerned. 

I'd be interested to know if any parents or carers (or indeed anyone with an opinion), feel like this could be a worthwhile gap, would the children you know benefit from reading books with characters they might be able to more closely relate to? 

In addition to this (and here's where I'm probably just being a little cheeky!), would you be able to point me in the way of any research or advice which could help those characters be truly reflective of what living with those disabilities actually looks like, instead of a stereotype with no real basis? 

Your responses will be so very much appreciated!

Chrissy

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.