DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP

JenniferU
JenniferU Community member Posts: 108 Pioneering
@nerdwillis on Twitter asks:

"If you are being assessed and going from DLA to PIP, do they ask what you currently spend your DLA on?"

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi there @nerdwillis,

The assessment should focus on how your disability affects you, not what you spend your money on. Hope that helps, please get in touch if you need more information about PIP.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • nerdwillis
    nerdwillis Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks for commenting Debbie. I had my assessment and it went okay. Just waiting for the response now. 

What do you wish people knew about when claiming PIP? Looking at making a myth buster of sorts for people that have no knowledge about the benefit and like to make assumptions about benefit claimants!
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi nerdwillis,

Glad your assessment went okay. How did you find the assessment. Did they ask you what you spent your DLA on? I know you were concerned about this so I wonder if it came up? Was there anything in the assessment that you found concerning?

Learning as much about PIP as you can before you apply can be really helpful and providing as much information about yourself and your condition in the 'How your disability affects you' form. These are the key areas for me.

I hope you don't have to wait too long for a decision and please do keep us posted on progress. It's so helpful to share experiences to help others through this process.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • flowerpower
    flowerpower Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    My son, who is 25, when he reached 19 I had to reapply for dla every two years, his conditions are numerous including Aspergers, and lifelong, last year we had to attend high court tribunal in London, we lost!!!

Have just reapplied because my son has now been diagnosed with lifelong small nerve neuropathy. I wish I could be more optimistic, but have very little faith in the new system
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi flowerpower, Sorry that you've been through such a lot with DLA and now with PIP. If you want to talk some more about PIP or need any support through the process do get in touch. Best wishes Debbie

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.