If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

ESA and universal credit

ellywestellywest Posts: 1Member
Hi and thank you for adding me .my question is .I get ESA .my boyfriend is on universal credit .I want to move my boyfriend in with me .can I claim on my ESA for him .?

Replies

• Scope_rosieScope_rosie Posts: 129Member, Helpline Chatterbox
    Hey ellywest

welcome to the community :)

Universal Credit and ESA are both pretty complicated benefits; it's not going to be possible to get accurate advice on here as ideally you'd need to sit down with a qualified benefits advisor face to face, get your paperwork out and his, to look at this in some detail.  

have a look on the Scope service directory - if you select 'information' from the service type drop-down, you should be given a list of local advice services -many of these have benefits advisors available who can look at this properly with you.

Don't make any decisions until you've had some decent advice; there are winners and losers with Universal Credit and it has a complex relationship with ESA so find out what will happen, before it happens!

Let us know how you get on,

-B
    x
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Posts: 943Member, Helpline, Community advisor Chatterbox
    edited February 2017
    Hi ellywest, Welcome to the community. As BethSlade has already said, ESA and Universal Credit are complex benefits and it can be difficult to find definitive answers. UC is still really new and a lot of answers are yet to be discovered. If you're having difficulties finding the information you need locally get in touch with me at the helpline and I'll try and guide you through. Best wishes Debbie
  • shelliemarieshelliemarie Posts: 57Member Listener
    ellywest said:
    Hi and thank you for adding me .my question is .I get ESA .my boyfriend is on universal credit .I want to move my boyfriend in with me .can I claim on my ESA for him .?
    i did for my partner but check it out
  • kiewie111kiewie111 Posts: 2Member Listener
    hi i claim esa added my partner on my claim received 41.00 a week extra
  • kiewie111kiewie111 Posts: 2Member Listener
    If you are on esa make sure you are not in a universal credit full digital area cause if you have any changes to your esa they will stop your claim then you have to go to universal credit 
Sign in or join us to comment.