unsure if i am entitled.... PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

unsure if i am entitled.... PIP

Bubsy42
Bubsy42 Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Hi Im new on here, I've got insulin dependent diabetes and Ive had 2 spinal fusions, I do work 30 hours a week and was told I should apply for PIP but as I work I thought I wouldn't be entitled, anyone have experience of this please? thank you

Comments

• JadeB
    JadeB Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    So I've been told you can get PIP weather you work or not. However there is a points based system and to get it you much score 12 points or more. I have cerebral palsy. I also work 30 hours a week. My parents never claimed for me as a child because of the stigma attached. But they were told that i could claim it at any time without issue. However when I put in my claim I was only scored 2 points! Although I can walk and appear 'normal'. I am wobbly and can become easily unbalanced. And because of me feet cheap shoes are a no go. My pads for bladder weakness cost a bomb. As do my KT bandages and I go a big fat no x
  • SandyLou
    SandyLou Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited August 2016
    You should be able to, do you have a good gp or consultant to back you up? 
    My son is 17 and we get it. He has Asperger syndrome. 
    The interview part was hell but if you've nothing to hide then you'll be fine 
    I have just looked on the .govuk web site and you can work and get pip.
    good luck 
  • Bubsy42
    Bubsy42 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Sandy Lou and Jade thank you for your comments I appreciate you taking the time to give me advice. I will apply and see where it goes
  • SandyLou
    SandyLou Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    That's all you can do, go see your GP and advise them that you're applying so when they write to them they're aware. 
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Busby42, It's perfectly ok to work and claim PIP. In fact for a lot of people, claiming PIP can help them get into and stay in work. PIP looks at how your disability affects you rather than the condition/s itself. A good and quick way to work out whether you may have entitlement to PIP is to carry out a PIP self-assessment test. You can find one on the Benefits and Work website http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php The self-assessment test lists all of the activity descriptors and points available. Remember you have to be able to carry out each activity safely, reliably and in good time. The self-assessment test is a good start but if you want to talk some more about whether you will be entitled get in touch and I'd be happy to talk it through with you. Best wishes Debbie

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.