Hi, my name is galvin66! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is galvin66!

Options
galvin66
galvin66 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Hi, my name is Catherine and this is the first time I have ever used an online discussion group, so please be patient with me ha ha!!!!!
I suffer chronic pain following a severe hit and run when I was a child.  My first pain was at 16, doctors said it was growing pains!!??! It had been 10 years since my accident (at the time, 1972, I just had horrible cuts and bruises, so after e few days in hospital, all looked OK).  So then the trouble started, bulging discs, stenosis, pinched nerves from the top to the bottom of my spine.  So here I am 34 years later, 2 major ops, loads of spinal injections, but still trying to smile each morning!!!!!!!  So it would be great to talk with folks in a similar position, so we can help each other on good days and bad days...... Take care C xxxx

Comments

• bam
    bam Community member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    Options
    That sounds extremely painful. I think all of us here have experienced some kind of chronic pain since our diagnosis. Getting hit by a car must be extremely painful. I like to say hello and welcome. There are a lot of nice people on here that will be more than willing to talk to you. I've discovered this is a pretty cool community. My name is Bam. How are you today?
  • galvin66
    Options
    Bam, what a cool name...... Today, mixed day, mostly pain but I am certainly enjoying watching the Rio olympics.  Did you hear the news re the Paralympics?  Last night news stated that Rio has run out of funding for a great deal of the "paras".  Apparently 10 countries cannot even get to Rio because the funding for transport has been slashed, can you believe that....... I am really angry.  
  • galvin66
    Options
    And the reason for this, Bam, is because of all the problems with the "normal" olympics accommodation being substandard....... CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS..... Oh and they had to employ more security for the able bodied Olympians......... I'm from Ireland originally and can talk a lot and I am usually not lost for words, but this has really upset me.  So they are having to cut a great deal of the types of events.  When they bid for the olympics back in 2009, they stated they had no funding problems concerning the "paras" (the question is valid because ticket sales are not as high as the Olympics...... Anyone else upset/angry?????
  • bam
    Options
    That is horrible but there's a culture in this world that the first people that are disadvantaged are always the disadvantaged. That thinking and that culture needs to stop. Do you also live in the United States? I live in California where do you live?
  • bam
    Options
    Ireland? I alwas wanted to go to Ireland. My family is Irish. My dad went Ireland twice and loved it. Wel, good because I am always pretty lonely and I'm in constant need of attention LOL. Well, you have to admit this whole Olympics kind of suxs. Something like this would never happen in United States or the UK. Those two countries would have taken or absorbed a great deal of debt to ensure that their rights were not taken away or they weren't disadvantages
  • galvin66
    Options
    No Bam, at moment I actually live in Switzerland, however soon to return to Uk.  You said you have two children, what age are they?  I was lucky to carry and give natural birth (no pain relief 36 hrs labour) to my gorgeous daughter.  She is 20 and at present in Kenya helping women and children "the untouchables"  charity.  She has one year left at uni, studying human geography, she wants to join the UN....... I have give up worrying about her (if I worried every moment of the day I would be bald, wrinkly and in a sanatorium, ha ha..... Only been to the states once..... Pensacola, don't ask (a man) many moons ago........ Did go down to New Orleans for 4th July, such fun
  • bam
    Options
    LOL LOL Lol lol. When you said Pensacola that's the first thing that came to my mind was a WHY WHY WHY Pensacola?New Orleans on 4th of July must have been crazy. Switzerland is beautiful. I would  love to go back to Switzerland. How did someone go from the UK to Switzerland?
  • galvin66
    Options
    Work of course, so I am off back to old Blighty!!!!!!  Switzerland is beautiful, but the people are not as open as the the Irish, ha, ha, ha
  • bam
    Options
    Well, you know that's  because all of us Irish are drunk most of time lol.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.