Need advice - Lost nearly all of my PIP money and can't work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need advice - Lost nearly all of my PIP money and can't work

darkeyegirl68
darkeyegirl68 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello I'm all worried I lost near all my money on pip. I can't work I'm just starting my programme of counselling my partner died 3months now. I didn't need this on top. Very sad for me. I don't know how I'm going to live. 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Hey @darkeyegirl68

I'm so sorry to hear that your partner has passed away.  I hope that the counselling programme is of some use to you in coping with this loss.

What bad luck that the PIP decision landed when it did.  
    Have you considered appealing the decision? There's a two-stage process; we know that the first stage (mandatory reconsideration) doesn't always go so well (although sometimes it does!) but once that's out of the way you have a much better chance at the second stage- tribunal appeal (6 in 10 tribunals get a better result than the original decision).  It would also be great if you could get some help with the process of appealing - either from a disabled persons' organisation, the CAB,  or Age UK (if you're over 55!)

You mention you're not able to work right now - have you looked at Employment and Support Allowance?  It's a benefit for people that can't work because of their condition or impairment (with PIP, because it's designed to cover the extra costs of disability, you can get regardless of whether or not you're working)

There are also a couple of bereavement benefits some people are entitled to claim.  It would be great if you were able to call the helpline to be talked through this stuff and find you a local source of support for applying and appealing decisions.   Or you can email (helpline@scope.org.uk) if that is easier - means you don't have to reveal lots of personal info on here if you don't want to :)

Take very good care,

-B x

• nickp
    nickp Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Hi darkeye girl68 sorry about your partner don't give up you can appeal your pip and ask why was it stopped were all disabled one way or another last year I was stopped jumping off a bridge into traffic by the police I was put on Fluoxcetine of 60mgs from August to March and I got sectioned im not depressed but I have brain damage and short term memory loss due to my brain tumour op I know what its like to be on the edge and you cant see a way off don't ever give up go to your G.P.and explain to him/.her then go to counselling its not straight away fix nothing is but believe me if you unburden you will feel better that's a promise nickp xx
  • Weegismo2
    Weegismo2 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Thanku for ur kind words. It makes me happy to see so many nice people. This im not use to.  :D
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Hello I'm all worried I lost near all my money on pip. I can't work I'm just starting my programme of counselling my partner died 3months now. I didn't need this on top. Very sad for me. I don't know how I'm going to live. 
    I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your partner. Thank you to Beth Slade for her reply. I mirror what she has said about challenging your PIP and then thinking about applying for ESA while you're unable to work.

The biggest priority right now is your health and there are some services which can support you with with the benefits and financial issues while you focus on getting stronger. There's a team of us here at the helpline who can help you find some support in your local area so please don't hesitate to get in touch with us. We are also blessed to have a wonderful community with some truly incredible people and we're all behind you. Sometimes it helps knowing you're not alone.

I hope this provides you with some comfort at this difficult time.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• Debbie_Alumni
    nickp said:
    Hi darkeye girl68 sorry about your partner don't give up you can appeal your pip and ask why was it stopped were all disabled one way or another last year I was stopped jumping off a bridge into traffic by the police I was put on Fluoxcetine of 60mgs from August to March and I got sectioned im not depressed but I have brain damage and short term memory loss due to my brain tumour op I know what its like to be on the edge and you cant see a way off don't ever give up go to your G.P.and explain to him/.her then go to counselling its not straight away fix nothing is but believe me if you unburden you will feel better that's a promise nickp xx
    Thank you for sharing your story @nickp, I admire your courage, it's not easy to admit when things get so bad that you can't see a way out. The fact that you have shared this experience with us and are offering comfort to others shows what an incredible person you are. Thank you x
  • nickp
    nickp Community member Posts: 18 Listener

Your welcome if I can help at least one person then its worth it.Its a difficult situation to be in I know but when times do get hard you may not always see a way out so never ever give up nickp xx

• Debbie_Alumni

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.