If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

My son has Asperger's - how can I get support?

Julie94Julie94 Posts: 5Member
Hi, I need some info about getting support for my son who suffers from Asperger's syndrome. He's 22 years old and my husband has left me and abandoned his children. I need help with my son as he doesn't communicate with me & he misses his dad who hasn't seen him in the last 3 months

Replies

• Yiman60Yiman60 Posts: 87Member Listener
    edited October 2016
    Julie94 said:
    Hi, I need some info about getting support for my son who suffers from Asperger's syndrome. He's 22 years old and my husband has left me and abandoned his children. I need help with my son as he doesn't communicate with me & he misses his dad who hasn't seen him in the last 3 months

Hi,
    I am so sorry to hear about your situation.
    First of all I suggest you go to your GP and ask him to refer your son to Autism Iniative. They have outreach workers and groups where they do activities together. Anything from ten pin bowling, cinema, meals out, walking, all sorts of activities. 
    Having male company I am sure will help his situation.

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/practical-support/getting-care-and-support/carers-assessment?gclid=Cj0KEQjwg8i_BRCT9dHt5ZSGi90BEiQAItdjpG8X3jw7rUh64x-oNctCeDoMKZ8u2HbUBu4RJn_hvTYaArjR8P8HAQ

I also suggest being on your own you get an assesment of your needs. You can also get one for your son if he wishes. This could provide you with extra support, even respite care for a weekend.

https://www.ipsea.org.uk/

If your other children are school age I suggest you ring iipsea as short term extra support should be provided.

I hope this helps a little xx
  • DannyMooreDannyMoore Posts: 587Member Chatterbox
    Try not to take your son not communicating with you personally. I have Asperger's Syndrome myself, when I was younger the only person I opened up to is my best friend, never my family.
    Whenever I was home I just stayed in a bedroom alone with all my thoughts, feelings and emotions concealed. Due to how often I got/get prejudged I was afraid to take the chance of it happening again.
    There's a documentary you might find useful on Google, type: through our eyes living with asperger's.
    Don't Fear Your True Self
Sign in or join us to comment.