Mother of 6-year-old boy with limited speech. Seeking new ways to communicate — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mother of 6-year-old boy with limited speech. Seeking new ways to communicate

vuyy
vuyy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments

I am a mother of a 6 year old boy with limited speech. I would love to learn new ways of communication in order to make it easy for him to interact with other people as he can get really frustrated when other people don't understand him. I would also love to understand him better.

I need all the knowledge I can get, lol I'm even thinking of changing my profession from accountant to become a teacher to kids with disabilities.

Comments

• chantelleb92
    chantelleb92 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    HI, 

I have supported 2 boys for 4 years with communication and language difficulties and their are lots of different ways in supporting your son and helping him.

PECS, Picture images are a really good way to communicate. Especially when you are younger. I use these daily, with all ages of children, (Images that he is familiar with and things that you would need daily ) 
    They are a brilliant way to introduce new vocab and with understanding to.

Happy face, sad face, sleepy faces, also to express mood.
    This is one simple tip but is very effective. It might take some time getting use to using but will definatley help your son from getting frustrated. 

I started working with two boys who had very limited speech, to boys who do not stop talking. My main recourses for the past few years and to this day is pictures .

Feel free to ask any other questions. I hope this helps :)

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    There's some great information here - Tips for non-verbal communication

Do let us know what works for you! 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.