Seeking information about finding work in UK — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Seeking information about finding work in UK

Options
jahanley
jahanley Scope Member Posts: 9 Connected
Hi, my name is James and I am a 39 year old male who currently lives in Vancouver Canada. I have minimal Cerebral Palsy and would like to move to the UK next Spring I do have a UK passport.I have over ten years experience working in Hospitality and I also have a career counselling Certificate.I would like some information on to go about finding work in the UK 

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi James,

There's lots of things you can do to find work in the UK but the first thing to consider is where in the UK you will be living. Once you have this in mind it's a good idea to find out more information about the town or city you're moving to. You can research various industries to see what is available in the area and what the job prospects are in the location you want to live in. You also need to factor in your living costs, will you be renting here or will you be buying a property? You'll need to know if the work you do will pay enough to cover your living costs. In the UK rents and property prices can be quite high in certain areas, particularly London and some of the larger cities.

There are so many ways in which you can look for work using the internet. There are lots of job searching websites and a good one to look at is www.indeed.co.uk. You can tailor the search to your own requirements and it's generally a very good website to use as it comprises lots of job adverts from various sources into one website. Do use Google to carry out searches too i.e jobs in hospitality or counselling in the UK.

It's also important to do some prep work like updating your CV and making sure it's up to date (if you have one) or creating a new one if you don't. Again there are lots of resources available to help you prepare a CV but it's definitely a requirement when you're job searching. A lot of job websites give you the opportunity to register your CV with them so that they can find job matches for you.

Social media can also be a very handy tool to use. Sites like Linkedin can be very helpful allowing you to network on a professional basis. Talk to others on this community to find out what other people did when looking for work.

Keep an eye on jobs at Scope too http://www.scope.org.uk/jobs, you never know what opportunities may arise!

We also have information pages about employment on our website and you may find the information there very helpful, we link to other websites and resources too.
    http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/work/factors 

Think about other skills you have or have gained over your life time and remember to think about any hobbies you have because people often don't realise how many skills they can pick up from the hobbies they do in their spare time. This will really help you widen the job search up a bit more. Also consider the various opportunities available in terms of working remotely, freelancing or on a self-employed basis. The world is your oyster!

I hope you have great success with your job searching and if there's anything else I can assist with please do let me know.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.