How can I help my son to make friends? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I help my son to make friends?

Lesley_in_Cherhill
Lesley_in_Cherhill Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Two months ago I  moved back to England with my 19 year old son, who uses a wheelchair to get around, and is unable to speak.  He is dependent on me for all his personal care, but is totally aware and interested in what's going on around him.  He loves being in a swimming pool, going out for coffee, and people & traffic watching.   My question really is how do I help my son to make friends - how do we meet people with similar abilities and interests?  How do I find out what's available for him in terms of social activities, if anything?  
I really would like all the advice and information anyone can give, as I've lived in England before, but never with a disabled person, and it's a different ball game!
Thanks for reading this, and hope to chat with you soon.

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Community member Posts: 9 Listener

Hello Lesley it's good to hear from you. Coming back into a new community and system is always hard at first finding your way around. The Parent Forum's in each area are a good place to start, they are a fountain of knowledge and experience, as are the local disabled people's organisations. Which area of the country are you in and maybe I or another forum member can suggest some ideas.

Look forward to hearing from you

• Lesley_in_Cherhill
    Lesley_in_Cherhill Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thanks for your answer, Vic.  We're in Wiltshire, just outside Calne.  
    Lesley
  • OlliHannah
    OlliHannah Community member Posts: 30 Connected

Hi Lesley

Vic is right that Parents Forums are a great source of local knowledge. You may also want to try looking for local Disability Sport Organisations that could offer your son a taster of different opportunities where he could have some fun but also meet new some people. Have a look on the following link to see whether there is anything local that may appeal to him:

http://www.englandathletics.org/disability-athletics/disability-sports-organisations

Good luck with it :-)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.