New bike — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New bike

Options
eddie1968
eddie1968 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2016 in Cerebral palsy
My nephew has asked for a bicycle, hes 8 with right sided  hemiplegia, I will get him one. How do i approach teaching and encouraging him? Im keen as its exercise, outdoors and confidence building.
How do i ensure i don't damage his confidence during learning process. Any help or advice appreciated.

Comments

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Options

Hi I have diplegia and taught myself to ride a bike at 9 years old (I'm nearly 30). I had previously ridden a tricycle and on the back of a tandem bike, which along with horse riding I think really helped improve my balance and coordination.

The way I taught myself to ride a two wheeled bike, was to start on my younger brothers small bike, so it was easy to put my feet down (and less far to fall!) I started just by scooting it around, as I couldn't coordinate getting going and putting my feet on the pedals and starting to pedal. I used slopes to build up speed easier, then learnt that by keeping my more affected leg on the pedal and scooting with my 'better' side it was even easier...

I would suggest starting on a bmx bike as they are lower, and you don't have to worry about gears. Or maybe try a 'balance bike' that has no pedals, or a scooter to help build up balance and confidence first....

Best of luck!

chris 

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Options
    Is there a Wheels for All group near you?
    http://cycling.org.uk/wheels-for-all/

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.