15-year old son has Becker Muscular Dystrophy — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

15-year old son has Becker Muscular Dystrophy

juliejack
juliejack Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have a 15 year old son who has Becker Muscular Dystrophy. It's a degenerative condition causing muscle weakness and wasting. I wonder if there are any other people on here who's child has a similar condition?

Comments

• Lauren_Trailblazers
    Lauren_Trailblazers Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I recommend you check out www.musculardystrophyuk.org 

They can put you in touch with individuals who have the same/similar conditions.

Also your son may benefit from joining their young people's network where he can meet other's with muscle-wasting conditions https://www.facebook.com/groups/mdctrailblazers/ 
  • juliejack
    Thank you, we are already involved with MD UK. I will let my son know about the young people's network.
  • JadeB
    JadeB Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Hi @juliejack I have met many young lads with MD being a support worker. I work in many places one of which is trellor college. The young lads I have met are all amazing and deal with thier condition very well as do the carers that look after them. Wish you all the best x
  • juliejack
    Thanks Jade xx
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @juliejack how are you getting on? Have you managed to meet any other parents of children with Becker Muscular Dystrophy?

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Clare123
    Clare123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi  Julie .I have a son 28 with MD type Facioscapulohumeral. He has similar conditions .Most of his muscles have deteriorated and he's just having to start to use a wheelchair to get around.
  • LDNUMBERPAIN
    LDNUMBERPAIN Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Hi My son now in his 30's has advanced Becker (BMD) and has been wheelchair dependent for many years. He is now in 24/7 care with an excellent support team, unfortunately  his wheelchair does not get the same TLC because the NICE guidelines only apply to medical care quality and as a result he has direct responsibility for maintaining it at his own expense. As many wheelchair users know a common problem is that the electrics are sensitive to cold damp conditions causing a very irritating cut out.

Being unable to resolve the problem the company that usually upgrades his wheelchair decided he could no longer use his own hand control outside his house (inside the temperature is controlled) and pottering around his fully adapted home does not overload the electrics so he is now totally dependent on his care team if he wants to leave the house for any reason, makes no sense of what the PM meant by giving everyone more control over there own lives.
    LDNUMBERPAIN

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.