Motability, Blue Badges and disabled motoring
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Possible breach of Data Protection on Motability scheme

Hi, I note that DVLA has now changed online info on disabled car tax from disabled to nil in response to possible breach of privacy and Data Protection Act with any member of the public checking if a car is taxed as disabled. I now show an equal concern to a possible privacy DPA breach on any car leased via the Motability scheme. Anyone who goes to[removed by moderator] site and types in a cars registration will soon be able to ascertain whether a car is on the scheme or not as  unless the registration shows as being on the scheme it will not continue. This means anyone can check if a car is on the Motability scheme. I realise some people may not mind if this information is public but this is not my point. The point is that it is serious breach of a disabled persons rights and could easily be avoided by using your Motability reference number etc. I would request that anyone with concerns over this contacts Motability as if enough complaints are raised they could insist that [removed by moderator] close this breach of privacy. This is not about how mamy people  care  if someone knows their car is on the scheme,  but protecting the rights of those disabled people who do. 

Replies

• wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,135 Disability Gamechanger
    I typed in my car registration details and the car was half tax rate now zero both searches just showed the car was taxed not any details about the rate it's not on the mobility scheme, although it was a former mobility car 06 to 09.
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    I have removed the name of the website this member is referring to as others were concerned it could be a guide for some people to misuse this feature. The member who posted this was trying to help and raise awareness but we feel it right to remove some details to protect others.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,135 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello  again . The site used to be able to give this information but the DVLA no longer allows this to happen. I have just checked my own car taxed disabled and all that came up tax not due yet so do not worry people will but things together seeing you driving a new £20,000 car and wonder how you we afford it, it doesn’t take much to work out they must have a mobility car..
Sign in or join us to comment.