Husband awarded basic rate PIP, but finding it a struggle to keep working — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Husband awarded basic rate PIP, but finding it a struggle to keep working

Options
Janselby
Janselby Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2016 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Not sure where to start really. My husband has recently been awarded pip, the basic rate, but is finding it a struggle to keep working. He works 16 hours a week and suffers from rheumatoid arthritis which is getting more aggressive and various treatments are just not working. We are at our wits ends wondering what to do next, it took an army of various people to fill in the pip forms, and although the person who interviewed him was sympathetic, it was not her who made the final decision. I am trying to care for my husband but I am having to work as a carer in the community to cover finances. I hope this makes sense and meets the criteria. Thank you.

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi Janselby

I work for the Benefits Training Co and we are helping Scope and the online community. 

In order to advise you further I need some more information, namely:

• which component of PIP was your husband awarded the basic rate of? was it Daily Living or Mobility or both?
    • how many hours do you work? and are your net earnings more than £110 a week?
    • does your husband want to continue in work or is his health making it too difficult?
    There are a few different options available to you but the answers to these initial questions will start the ball rolling...

Thanks

Paul
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Janselby
    Janselby Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    My husband was awarded £55.10 a week for daily living needs and £21.80 a week for mobility, both from 4/5/2016 to 29/6/2019. He currently works 16 hrs a week. He is finding this more difficult physically and spends the following days recovering and in pain. 

My my weeks at work vary but average out at 30 to 35 hours a week so consequently earn more than £110 a week, though I find this exhausting as well as doing what I can for my husband and I am now 60 and unable to take retirement until I am 66. I hope this answers your questions. Many thanks, Jan Selby
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options

Hello Jan Selby

I am following your query, and like Paul who answered your query yesterday i also work for the Benefits Training Co.

From the information you have given it looks like your husband receives standard rate daily living and standard rate mobility of Personal Independence Payments.  Receiving the daily living component of PIP is important as it means that within the benefit system you can be recognised and claim benefits as your husband’s carer.   

The options you have are however dependent on what amount of work you and your husband continue to do. The options are also dependent on whether you have any capital (for example savings in a bank) of more than £16,000.

I will run through examples of possible options, so that you have an idea of what might be available to you. Remember these are examples of options and depending on what you think is best for you and your husband there may be more options available to you.

OPTION 1:

You continue to work 30-35 hours a week but your husband stops working. 

Your husband may be entitled to Employment and Support Allowance.  Employment and Support Allowance is a benefit for people who are unable to work due to ill health or disability. 

Depending on what your total income is, you may be able to claim Working Tax Credits.

OPTION 2:

Your husband stops working and you also stop working, or reduce your hours of work so that you do not earn more than £110 a week.

You will be able to claim Carers Allowance. 

You may be entitled to claim Income Support for you and your husband or in the alternative your husband maybe able to claim Employment and Support Allowance for both of you.

Not only are different options available to you dependent on what you feel is the best thing for you and your husband to do, you may also need someone to help you calculate what your income (including any help with council tax, rent or mortgage payments) will be with these different benefit options.

Thanks

Maria

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options
    Hello Jan

It maybe that you might like to ring the Scope helpline (0808 800 3333) as they may be able to direct you to face to face services in your area to help work out what the best option for you and your husband is. Best wishes, Maria.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.