pregnant with cerebral palsy — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pregnant with cerebral palsy

Options
kvcp
kvcp Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2016 in Cerebral palsy
Hi there, I was just wondering whether anyone else out there who has CP has experienced unusual pain during pregnancy. I have mild cp, affecting my right side. It causes me to walk with a slight limp and my fine motor skills on my right side are not very strong. I'm 5 months pregnant and since the beginning have experienced abdominal pain and cramps; some days very little and some days extremely strong. The baby is developing fine and numerous scans have shown nothing wrong with my body. My physio thinks that perhaps it is related to the CP: all muscles are connected and therefore tightness is my my right sided muscles could be having a knock on effect on the already stretching muscles in my uterus. I'm hoping this is the case as although a bit uncomfortable it wouldn't mean I'd go into labour early or that the baby is in danger (senarios my midwife frightened me with). I know each pregnancy is so different, but anyone else felt anything like this? Would love to hear about other women's experiences 

Comments

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Options

Hi, I've no relevant personal experience to share but it might also be worth asking your question here:

http://disabledparent.org.uk/ask-the-community

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• HanPad
    HanPad Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi,
    I have mild spastic diplegic cerebral palsy and had anterior abdominal pain related to muscular tightness. This then progressed to 'symphysis pubis dysfunction' - a laxity of ligaments that is pregnancy related. this did affect my mobility significantly in the latter stages of my pregnancies, however, did not affect the health of my babies at all.

I found that an elastic pelvic support belt helped tremendously.

I really want to try to reassure you- I now have three very happy children age 13,10 & 3.

Good luck with your pregnancy. Having a disability does not affect your ability to be a fantastic mum!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.