Husband is in denial of his ASD — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Husband is in denial of his ASD

Karina23
Karina23 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2016 in Autism and neurodiversity
My husband who is 49 Years old has been diagnosed with Aspergers traits (if that really exist...I doubt it..I think it is Aspergers syndrome. ) Our marriage of 5 years has been very challenging and extremely stressful. We have a son who is 4 years old and I am waiting for him to be assessed on the NHS sometime by the end of this year. My husband has been diagnosed privately. He is in denial of his ASD. I did give him a book to read about a guy who had a late diagnosis (51). I think my husband has taken what suits him from the book..getting even more obsessed with his interests and neglecting me and our son and he has left (did not want to read) page tackling anger management..Verbal abuse has been frequent and that is why I cannot carry on being married to him. I have decided that I and our son will be better off living separately. Has anyone been through divorce on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour...which iin my case is verbal abuse? Does the court system understand the chalenges of Aspergers on NT partners??? Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Hey @Karina23
    I haven't got experience of what you're going through but I wanted to reach out and say hello - and also to see if you have heard of Differently Together - it's a a safe, supportive and understanding community for the partners of people affected by Asperger Syndrome.  

Take care,

-B x
  • lovesColdplay
    lovesColdplay Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Hi I'm Aspergirl, aged nearly 49 and I got my ASC diagnosis last year. I think your partner will very likely struggle to imagine himself 'in your shoes'. We have ASPIE in Worcester and it's open to anyone. Drop in Wed 1-9pm, Sat 1-5pm 01905 27825. I hope things can get better for you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.