Why Scope’s online community is important — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why Scope’s online community is important

Options
Chris_Alumni
Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering

Scope’s September appeal recently began, and as it’s to raise funds towards the running of this very online community, we thought you might like to hear a little about it.

The appeal focuses on the story of community member and 'champion' Catherine, who some of you may know as @YoungCarerOverHere. Aged just 16, Catherine has been a carer for her younger brother, who has autism, for several years. She is also an unofficial carer for her mother, who has recently been diagnosed with ADHD, and for her sister, who is being assessed.

Catherine uses the community on her smartphone

To have such responsibility at a young age was a lot to handle, and as Catherine explains, “It can be exhausting, and you can end up feeling very alone. I’ve been in tears because I didn’t know anyone who understood what I was going through.”

Fortunately though, Catherine wasn’t alone – she was able to turn to Scope’s online community for support and advice.

A lifeline and an online home

“Sometimes you need useful tips and advice at 2am when your autistic brother can’t sleep and morning seems a long, long time away. You can’t wait to join a waiting list, or travel miles to talk to someone. That’s why Scope’s online community is a lifeline to people like me. Because it’s there 24-hours a day and there’s a range of people who understand and can offer support.”

Having found a supportive place to call home here, Catherine went on to become a ‘community champion’ – an active member of the community able to provide advice and information to others. Explaining her reasons for taking this role, she says, “I know I can help other young carers by sharing my experiences.” If you’d like to read more of Catherine’s story, you can do so here, and do share it with others on social media if you’d like to spread the word.

We’d also love to hear your own stories of how the community has helped you. Why do you think Scope’s online community for disabled people is important? Do you have any words of support for Catherine and other young carers like her? Do let us know in the comments below, and if you’re interested in becoming a community champion yourself, send an email to chris.glithero@scope.org.uk.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.