I'm not sure what I can claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm not sure what I can claim

vickie
vickie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have fibromyalgia..raynauds. I live in mansfield notts. I'm married with 2 boys that have grown and flown. And have 3 beautiful grandchildren.  My husband works partime    29 hours and I receive.full pip  enchance rate  and contribution  based esa.. we have a 1 yr old  shihtzu  called  harley  had to finish work 3 yrs ago due to my illness. I'm not sure what I can claim  .we pay full rent and I get a bit off discount for using a wheelchair in my home..thru  council tax  which every year have to prove I still need it...otherwise I would have to pay full.. 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Vickie - it sounds as if you may be claiming nearly everything you're entitled to, but I wonder if you could get help with your rent (housing benefit) and/or help with your council tax (council tax support). The council tax support is separate to the discount you get for having an adapted home - it's to do with having a low income. Getting PIP means you are more likely to get help with both your rent and your council tax, so it's worth checking.
    You could use the calculator on the website turn2us to check what you can get, and to claim, ask your local council for a claim form. You might be able to get your housing benefit backdated (paid for the period before you claim) for up to one month, but only if you had a reason you didn't claim before - unfortunately simply not knowing you could claim wouldn't be enough, but if for example you'd asked the council before and they'd told you that you couldn't get anything, that might be a reason.
    Hopefully you might get a little bit extra to help with everything, and it's certainly worth checking.

Here's the link for housing benefit claims in Mansfield and here's the link for council tax support. Good luck!

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.