If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Introducing The Benefits Training Co.-Experts in disability benefits, tax credits and other benefits

BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 1,241Member, Community advisor Chatterbox
edited October 2016 in Ask a benefits advisor

The Benefits Training Co. is a social enterprise committed to delivering the highest quality welfare benefits training, consultancy and advice.It runs open and in-house training courses and provides ongoing benefits-related advice to staff working in public, private and community organisations, including many charities.  

All of The Benefit Training Co.'s advisers in the Scope Community have extensive experience with Citizens Advice Bureau and other advice organisations;

David Stickland – Training Director and founder of The Benefits Training Co.

Will Hadwen – Trainer and benefits consultant for CPAG, Working Families & BBC Radio 4

Michael Chambers – Money advice manager and experienced welfare advice trainer

Paul Bradley – Welfare rights adviser and tribunal representative

Maria Solomon – Solicitor, CAB adviser and trainer

Mary Shone, Solicitor, CAB adviser and trainer

The Benefit Training Co. is offering dedicated advice to Scope community members and is available for any benefits-related questions. 

The Benefits Training Co:
Will Hadwen
Lee Kempson
Jayne Knights
Mary Shone
Maria Solomon
David Stickland

Replies

• AlexAlex Posts: 875Administrator admin
    edited May 23
  • wildlifewildlife Posts: 777Member Chatterbox
    edited July 28
    @Alex Is this the same post you put on recently? I asked a question of @Maria or @Mary as solicitors what legal action, if any, could be taken against an assessor who wrote something completely fictitious on an assessment report. The worry is there is no legal aid for benefit problems but if this is a legal issue does that not apply?    
  • AlexAlex Posts: 875Administrator admin
    Hi @Wildlife, I just moved the question to a new thread - as there were three questions in the same discussion and it was getting a bit confusing. It's here:
    https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/33794/which-law-would-my-assessor-have-contravened

• wildlifewildlife Posts: 777Member Chatterbox
    @Alex Thank-you  I think the answer to this question would be of intertest to others who have suffered at the hands of dishonest assessors providing they still have the energy left to fight. Have you seen my post about the frailty grading in Aska benefit Advisor? .
  • frogyfrogy Posts: 21Member Listener
    I every one I was awarded standard daily care 55.65 this morning I had a phone call from ESA people saying iwill be getting severe disability premium how much is this and will it effect my housing and council tax benefit I was on low dla filled pip form in January 2017 awarded standard rate daily on 15 june 2017 will I get any premiem from these dates back dated thank you
    Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/34313/severe-disability-premiem#J47K0SJshhdZpV4K.99
  • lexy1973lexy1973 Posts: 2Member Listener
    Hi I suffer with HNPP, fibromyalgia and other conditions. I applied for PIP in April 2016, it was rejected so I appealed. I received a letter January 2016 from the tribunal and then heard nothing. I emailed them today stating that and then telephoned to follow up and they stated they have sent a letter today and my tribunal is September 2017. Is tat correct that it takes 17months for my appeal from when I first applied? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance x
  • foxukfoxuk Posts: 50Member Talkative
    Hi,
    Around two decades ago I used to fill in DLA claims for other people (and myself).
    There seems to be a lot of publicity about assessors who believe their job is to refuse PIP. How common is this?
    I am in the Cardiff area and would appreciate help with my DLA to PIP transfer. I have had problems in the past as although I qualify for DLA Higher Mobility and Lower Care myself, I am also providing sole Care for my bed bound wife (Higher Rates DLA both Mobility and Care).
    I realise that there are paid for and free services. Having experienced some of the 'free' as a volunteer in the past I realise that recommendation  by someone who knows what is what is essential.
    Any advice welcome.
    Jon
  • PetPet Posts: 6Member Listener
    After applying for change in circumstances for taking emergency medication for my seizures last June it got turned down and pip cancelled all together.  I reapplied and going through an assessment etc  I got a tribunal date in January.  I suffer epilepsy, but mainly nocturnal as my day time are under control with medication.  The panel and judge however said epilepsy was not eligible for pip but they would consider another date if I provided a written submission as the evidence I produced was very good it would be in approx 4 - 5 months. 8 months later after many telephone calls I get a date for August and then with one week to go, a letter appears postponing the hearing. I am very upset and at my wits end, surely they can't play with peoples health and minds like this.  
  • calliejoshcalliejosh Posts: 6Member Listener
    I was wondering which benefits I would be entitled  to my circumstances have change drastically  myself and my partner have split I only work 9 hours week  due to having a shoulder replacement last year to which is even to much as i am in agony every day when i finish as very restricted to what i can do and earn £90 so that's all I have coming in just now i am terrified of shats going to happen as in getting into a lot of dept untill i can sort something out please help
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 1,241Member, Community advisor Chatterbox

@calliejosh - have you not had a reply yet??

I can't see one, so just to be on the safe side...

Two things to do - firstly - get on a benefits calculator (there are free ones on the 'entitled to' and 'Turn 2 us' websites - and also one on the Scope website - and type in all possible scenarios i.e. if you gave up work and claimed ESA, if you increased/reduced your hours etc, so you can get a good picture of your options.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

Secondly - consider whether PIP may be an option for you. The 'Benefits and Work' website has a PIP self-test which is helpful, and if you are unsure, just stick a claim in - no harm done.

https://benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test

As a side note - if at all possible, I really recommend that you go face to face to a local Money Advice Service, either the CAB or similar, some housing associations have them, and get someone to set your mind at ease about your finances.

Hope this helps!

Mary

Will Hadwen
    Lee Kempson
    Jayne Knights
    Mary Shone
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland

• dianebell1dianebell1 Posts: 2Member Listener
    Hello, can you tell me if you  get ESA contribution based and in the support group is your NHS pension is taken into account
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 1,241Member, Community advisor Chatterbox
    Hi dianebell1,

If you receive contribution-based ESA and have a gross pension income of more than £85 a week, the amount of benefit payable will be reduced by half of the excess.

The excess is the difference between £85 and the actual pension income. For example, for a pension income of £100, the excess is £15. The amount of ESA payable is reduced by half of that, which is £7.50.

If you receive income-related ESA, any pension income you have will be taken into account, regardless of the amount.

Lee

Will Hadwen
    Lee Kempson
    Jayne Knights
    Mary Shone
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland

Sign in or join us to comment.