Learning disability apps — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Learning disability apps

VCH
VCH Community member Posts: 1 Listener

I work for NHS Choices and wondered if you might be able to help with a project we are starting around health apps. 

I’m looking for recommendations of apps that might be useful to people with special needs such as Down’s syndrome or autism to navigate everyday life and make healthy choices. 

I have already been referred to ‘Special iapps’ by a lady whose daughter has Down's syndrome, and wondered if an expert could endorse these and / or whether they can recommend others that their clients have found helpful.

I'd really appreciate any advice! Many thanks

Comments

• Kim_AssistiveTech
    Kim_AssistiveTech Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    Hi, 
    You may find this link from ican.org.uk useful when looking into iPad and Android apps. I hope it helps, thank you for visiting the Scope Community.

• Jeffrey_Hughes
    Jeffrey_Hughes Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hello,

Just thought I would let you know about the "Neatebox Customer Service" app. It allows the user to disclose if they have down's syndrome, autism or many other things like visual impairment, mobility impairment or hidden impairments to customer service teams at any location with a customer service team ( The customer service team would have the retail version of the app installed at their location).

It also includes the ability to input "specific requirements" (ie in the case of a wheelchair you could request a ramp before arriving at the retail location so it was ready when you came to the entrance). In addition to all this, you are able to submit your needs for the day like coffee, vegetables, a medium size black shirt, etc. This can all be done before departure from the home and with the help of a carer or independently by the user. 

The app is free to the user and will have a second edition coming out in the new year that is available for android and apple iOS. Currently, the app is in beta testing at several sites in Edinburgh and is live on the apple app store for free download:  store https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/neatebox-customer-service/id1123589001?mt=8

If you would like to get in contact please email me at jeffrey@neatebox.com or visit our website at www.neatebox.com to learn more see our other apps.

Cheers,

Jeffrey Hughes 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.