Benefits cut during lengthy wait for PIP hearing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits cut during lengthy wait for PIP hearing

Comments

• JP22
    JP22 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I am a Carer and also the Appointee for my child's PIP application, previously DLA. We are currently awaiting a HMC hearing. Meantime all our benefits are cut off including Income Support & Carers Allowance. I was also refused JSA due to my caring role, There appears to be no duty of care. Not even a food bank voucher has been offered, whilst we were living below entitlement and now without any benefits. Our situation has become far more serious due to the lengthy waiting time (almost a year)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi JP22

I'm sorry to hear that your benefits have been affected in this way. Hopefully you will be able to receive carer's allowance and income support again if the PIP appeal is successful.

In the mean time it may be that you can't get income support and sometimes carers do have to claim jobseeker's allowance. This is possible and i am concerned that you may have been put off of claiming this benefit. I do not know your full circumstances and whether they might be another option but if it has to be jobseeker's allowance then you should claim this benefit again. You will need to be able to show that you are available for work, but you can limit your availability. If you have difficulties you might like to refer to some of the guidance. Here is a link to the DWP's own guidance which it writes for decision makers and staff. For example, have a look at paragraph 21265 which explains that you do not have to be available for work immediately. There are lots of other references to caring responsibilities and it might be worth reminding the jobcentre staff to look at this guidance.

It sounds as if you have been without an income for quite a while and it might be worth asking for more help from the jobcentre. You should ask for a safeguarding visit due to your caring role and because your son is a vulnerable person. This could be done in your home or in the local jobcentre.

Finally, i am concerned it is taking so long to resolve the PIP application as it doesn't usually take a year. I suggest you contact the Courts Service and/or the PIP office to find out what the delay is.

David 
    The Benefits Training Co:

• JP22
    JP22 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi David

Thank you so much for your helpful advice, I can now follow it up with the much appreciated information.

With kindest regards

JP22

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.