I need advice please, I am at my wit's end — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I need advice please, I am at my wit's end

Judyb
Judyb Community member Posts: 1 Connected

I have had an ileostomy for over 30 years. I am 64 and have just had to finish work due to deteriorating health. Arthritis has got the better of me and I have Crones disease. I have been fiercely independent all my adult life and now find myself facing huge difficulties. I have never had benefits or charity and now rely on my pension which does not cover my rent, bills and food. I have sold everything I can to survive but now have a carer to help me should I need it through the night. I was registered as disabled in the early 80,s but never used it as I did not want to become a "victim". I have constant leakages and am told nothing can be done. I am not a person who can join in groups or indeed discuss this face to face. I need advice please as I am at my wits end

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hello @Judyb,

I'd like to look into this a bit more with you. Would you be happy to speak to me or my colleague Gill here at the helpline to get some more information from you and to run a benefits check?

We can arrange a telephone appointment with you to go through all of this. You can get in touch with us by calling 0808 800 3333 or email us at helpline@scope.org.uk send us your contact details and one of us will get back to you.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Judyb I have a permanent ostomy and it concerns me that you say you have constant leakage and nothing can be done.  There are so many brilliant products these days that are there to help with ostomy problems.

Do you see a stoma nurse?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.