Had to fight to gain ESA payments again — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Had to fight to gain ESA payments again

rosebud0710
rosebud0710 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I'm disabled through having my thyroid removed and auto immune system responded and attacked my body I'm unable to walk with out crutches as my left leg does not work .  I had a great job working  on a busy AE Department for NHS after op they finished me due to ill health I spent yrs on esa support group last year I had to fight to gain esa payments again I'm worried that under the new assessment rules I may not be on this anymore it's very stressful each year ending 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rosebud0710

That sounds very stressful, how are you getting on?

Sam
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi rosebud0710 

It is stressful worrying that your ESA might be reviewed again. However some good news - the government announced recently that they wouldn't keep reviewing people who had long term conditions or conditions which get worse. We don't know the details of this yet but it does look like a positive move and should mean people don't get reassessed as often.

The government have said this should apply to people who have 'severe, lifelong, often progressive and incurable conditions, with minimally fluctuating care needs, who are unlikely to ever be able to move closer to the labour market and into work'. 

They also said that they're working on this right now to make sure people are not reassessed unnecessarily. It might be worth talking to your MP about how stressful you find all this though. Your MP might be able to help push for more clarification.

I hope that helps.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.