ESA held on account until WTC overpayment repaid — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA held on account until WTC overpayment repaid

Options
Pix
Pix Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm in a catch 22 situation.  WTC wrongly advised me I was entitled to WTC even though I told them I was not working and on ESA with support and a PIP.  They admitted they advised me wrongly (via an advisor) and it finally stopped.  I've just received a demand for repayment of WTC.    In the meantime ESA stopped payment whilst I was receiving the WTC and 'held' this in my account.  The amount held is higher than the amount owed to WTC.   A ESA Maintenance advisor said he would take 'ownership' of this problem and has been trying to contact various departments to see if they can release the amount owed to WTC direct to WTC and then release the difference to me.   My problem is WTC want full payment by 6 November.  I don't have that money.  ESA do!.  Is there any way of me getting help to get ESA to release the WTC amount either direct to HMRC or to me to pay HMRC and/or getting the rest of what is held on my ESA account released to me?  What recourse do we have to claim for stress, loss of benefits owed etc when it comes to these two government departments (ESA and WTC)?  I just don't understand if they can see each other's systems and the amounts involved why they can't do internal transfers (with my permission) to clear this problem and then release the money owed to me. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.