Help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help

Options
samy
samy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi  I really need some advice/ help of anyone who has any experience with disability living allowance basically my mil passed away at end of September she was my sil's appointee/ carer when we informed disability they put a stop on sil's money while a new appointee was put in place but we are still waiting for this to happen she has had no money for 6 weeks now and we have been told it could be another 4-6 weeks before it's finally sorted.  We have asked them what help she can get until then but nobody seems to know the job centre say disability should help and disability say job center should but every time we ring or go see either we keep getting told sorry we can't help. I'm quite disgusted with them since she is disabled and classed as a vulnerable person I'm shocked nobody seems willing to help her. Me and my husband are doing all we can to help her but money is a little stretched as we have 3 kids and our selves to support does anybody know anything she can get to help tie her over until her money is sorted?  

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I suggest that you contact you sil's MP.  They might be able to speed things up.
  • samy
    samy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Matilda thank you I will give that a try x
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Samy,

I would say that the fault here definitely lies with the disability benefits centre (DBC) and they are the ones to complain to. Is there definitely someone prepared to act as the new appointee, and does the DBC have all their details?

The new appointee should have been sent a form called BF56 to complete. If no new appointee has been nominated, the DWP are supposed to contact social services. If there is a new appointee, and they've completed the form, then it does take a while for the DWP to check the person is suitable and confirm the appointment. But the timescale you've been given is far too long, given that benefit is suspended in the meantime - so please do complain.

Contacting the MP, as Matilda says, is often a good way of getting the DWP to act more quickly.

Meanwhile, you could see whether your sil's local authority has an emergency welfare scheme - it might also be called emergency support, or local welfare support. They can make cash payments. I would consider contacting adult social services too, if you are concerned about your sil's welfare.

If you're in Scotland, there's a Scottish Welfare Fund scheme which can make crisis grants in these sorts of circumstances - again, you make the application to the local authority.

I hope that helps. Definitely complain, try if you can to find out what's going on (is there a new appointee, what is the delay), and apply to the local council for some emergency help.

For info, here is the DWP staff guide to appointees - it's a bit dense but it will give you an insight into what should happen!

Post again if we can help further.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.