Proposed changes to appeal process — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Proposed changes to appeal process

Options
LeeJ
LeeJ Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Are you aware of this petition against proposed changes to the DWP appeals process? And what are your views on it?  I will happily sign the petition if the changes mean disabled people are less likely to receive the benefits they require. It's not clear to me if the changes are intended to speed up the appeal process which might be beneficial.  Please advise. https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/dwp-changing-the-tribunal-process?bucket=email-blast-4_11_2016_&source=twitter-share-button

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Below is what the petition organiser says about the proposed changes to the appeals process.  I think at the moment this only applies to ESA appeals - but it's almost certain that it will be extended to PIP appeals.  I have signed the petition.  My worry is that people lacking sufficient knowledge of disability law might not have the confidence to overturn DWP decisions whereas a judge with the necessary knowledge would.  The government are not introducing the changes to help disabled people but to save money and also to make it more likely that fewer appeals will be successful.

"The government want to change the way disabled people can appeal rejections and claim their benefits. The main change is holding the appeals over the telephone, on a webcam or even by reading submitted paperwork. The other worrying change is replacing a judge with a clerk or solicitor with no experience in disability law.

Moving the process out of the courts to a decision made by a clerk or retired lawyer is dangerous as they don't have experience making fair decisions in this area. The clerk would also be given performance indicators likely to contain targets for how many people should be rejected. This makes the process more biased against the disabled person.

If the changes go through, disabled people would only have their case heard through a virtual court or by submitting evidence on paper. This makes it much harder for disabled people to give detailed and persuasive evidence and for the clerk, to see how their disability affects their ability to work."

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.