Is anyone interested in sharing insights/ experiences about disability and inclusivity? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is anyone interested in sharing insights/ experiences about disability and inclusivity?

c_ma
c_ma Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2016 in Research and opportunities
I'm reaching out because I am interested in finding out more about the Social Model and the work Scope is doing. I don't know that we have anything similar being proposed for here in the U.S. and I'd like to see that change.

I'm actually working on my Doctorate in Social Work at Tulane in New Orleans, LA and I want to see about ways that I could advocate for more inclusivity for people with physical impairments and those who may otherwise be impaired by outside social constraints. Specifically, I am curious if an argument can be made that institutionalized racism could be seen as a socially-imposed disability that should be protected under our federal disability legislation.

If anyone is interested in sharing your insights or experiences, I'd greatly appreciate your time. I don't know if anyone else has attempted to go this direction with proposed policy change but it seems like a worthwhile effort. 

Thanks so much!

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.