Cerebral Palsy
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Looking for tips from other parent with children who have cerebral palsy

rhythmrhythm Member Posts: 1
edited December 2016 in Cerebral Palsy

I am mother of 19 year old who is having cerebral palsy. i have joined this group as i want to know from other parents what are the things available to make them more independent and to keep them busy.



  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2016
    Hi @rhythm
    Welcome to the community!  I hope you will find what you need here.
    @NikiM can you help at all?  

    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    @Sarah_Morris1968 @April or @jeanarussell Do you have any tips?
    Senior online community officer
  • jeanarusselljeanarussell Member Posts: 5
    My daughter has mild CP which enables her to live and work independently with family support, when she needs it. We have worked hard over the years to prepare her for independent living. She attended physiotherapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy until she was discharged at 18 years old. Recently returning to physio for a six week session of exercises to practice. She is in her mid twenties now. 
    It really depends on your own daughters needs as to how she can live independently.
    I am happy to give more information if it is relevant to you.
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2017
    There's a great independent living guide you can have a look at too @rhythm
    Senior online community officer
  • JackieJackie Member Posts: 24 Connected

     Hi There

    I don't know very much about your daughter but it may be worth looking into getting an assessment for her to see whether she may be eligible for a Personal Budget from social services. This could provide her with a budget, depending on her needs, where she could employ a PA [personal assistant] to help her to go out and be more independent. The criteria for getting help from social services is very strict but if you don't apply for this help then you won't know what you are entitled to. At our Scope helpline we have an adviser who specialises in social care and would be able to talk you through how to get your daughter assessed for a personal budget.

    If your daughter is interested in voluntary work then there is a really good website called Do-it.org. If you put in your details such as where you live and what you are interested in it will come up with a list of opportunities in your area:


    I hope that this helps.


  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    Lots of great information here @rhythm - does it help you? 
    Senior online community officer
Sign in or join us to comment.