Looking to talk about your experience with sport! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking to talk about your experience with sport!

Research_Matej
Research_Matej Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hey all, 

My name is Matej Christiaens and 
I am the lead researcher in a three year long research project conducted in association with Coventry University. The main objective of this study is to asses the sport landscape for people with disabilities. A hopeful outcome is to establish new strategies that would create more equality and provide easier access for people with disabilities to engage in sport and recreational activities. 

For this project I am looking to do some interviews or focus groups with people with a disability to talk about their experience with sport. I am looking for both people who are active in sport and those who are not active in sport. These interviews would last around half an hour and would most likely take place over phone. 

These interviews should enable me to gain better insights in: 
-What support is available for people with disabilities in relation to becoming active.
-What support is needed/expected to become, to be active.
-Your experience with sport in general and (disability) sport clubs in specific. 

I believe that research about people with disabilities should try and incorporate them as much as possible in the research process as the research is done first and foremost for them. As such I am hoping that some of you would be interested in taking the time to talk to me, as hopefully we can make a real impact in sport for people with disabilities. 

If you are interested in participating, do send me an email at: [email protected]
or alternatively you can 
fill out the following short survey: https://coventry.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/interview-survey. If you fill out the survey, make sure you leave some form of contact details. 

On a final note, I would like to ensure you that all data collected would be completely anonymous and would follow all ethical guidelines of Coventry University. This means that in no circumstances people participating would be identifiable. Additionally, all data is kept in encrypted files to ensure safety. 

If you got any additional questions about the research project, do not hesitate in contacting me. 

Kind regards,
Matej Christiaens
[email protected]

Doctoral Researcher
Centre for Business in Society
Coventry University

Comments

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    I will share it with one of active Poles group o FB. Perhaps somebody will have disable friend taking sport activities. 
  • Fundamentalist
    Fundamentalist Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    Hi from Fm. First of all to take part in any organised sport you must be able to get on with and fit in with other people, but what if you can't? What if you're severely socially disabled as I am with severe misophonia and really severe heat intolerance so I always need the complete opposite of what "everyone else" wants or needs so I can't fit in to any group activity. And I'm not sure if you can really call this "sport" but the only outdoor activity I really like is taking my 10 foot, about 3 metre inflatable boat to the seaside when tide and weather conditions are right and riding the waves in it, it's safe up to about force 3 provided you can handle it which I certainly can or else I wouldn't do it. I can't drive or ride a bike or anything with wheels like roller skates or skate boards but I can handle a boat on the waves up to a point and I've also been down swollen rivers in it too once again only when conditions are right which is something I've had to learn about. And I've had my share of accidents too especially on fast flowing rivers, I've twice been carried away downstream without the boat and I've been drawn into a weir! Of course I always wear an adequate lifejacket and it really works too, it's already saved me at least once! Fm.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.