NHS low income scheme — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

NHS low income scheme

grange48
grange48 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Afternoon everyone, Need some advice on this scheme, My son is 21 and receiving DLA. Has not worked since leaving school due to serious medical problems. I get income realated ESA with a joint claim with my wife who is my son's carer. Do you think he would qualify for the low income scheme ?

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @grange48

Welcome to the community. I've just moved your post to our benefits advisor area, hopefully they'll be able to help with your query.

Thanks,
    Alex
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Grange48

If DLA is your son's only income then yes he should qualify.

But i would expect your son to be getting another benefit because DLA is meant to help with the extra costs of living with a health condition/disability. How is your son paying for his more regular bills such as food?

If your son has no other income/capital he should probably be getting either employment and support allowance if he is currently unable to work, or jobseeker's allowance if he is available for work. Importantly, these benefits will almost certainly allow him to get free prescriptions etc without having to apply under the NHS low income scheme.

You can find out more about ESA on the Scope benefits pages here.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.