Son with schizophrenia - any support or tips? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son with schizophrenia - any support or tips?

masum
masum Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi my name is sue im new to to this I have a 42 year old son with schizophrenia, he has his own flat and really struggles to look after himself, i care for him and its a stuggle he is hard work and wont always work with psyc services and just wants me to help him all the time so i just try and pick up info from where can to deal with things like DWP benefits, council, utilities,etc. the list is never ending im learning all the time, as its hard to sort yr way through the systom, not doing too bad at the min. and hoping this will be the first xmas in 4 years he will not end up sectioned, so far so good 3 weeks to go!!

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @masum

Welcome to the community.

We have a great group here with so many different experiences, I hope you can join in, find information and support and perhaps share your own experiences. 

I recently met with some Community Support Workers and Life Navigators in my home town who explained how they supported people in their community.  Like you say, it can be very difficult to sort through the system.

Maybe it could be worth looking what is on offer around you?

Also remember to look after yourself, as a carer it can be tough and you need to make sure you take care of yourself as well as those you are caring for.

Do you have any other support Sue? 

Sam
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.