can i claim anything — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

can i claim anything

hayleyd
hayleyd Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hi I am 53 and live with my 53 year old boyfriend who is trying to get esa and pip at the moment, I had to come off jsa due to him claiming esa so he did it for both of us! . I did work until the other day 15 hrs a week as it was all I could do due to my back/knee problems but that's stopped now and waiting for p45 to send to esa to get back the money there taking off esa for working, I get dla mobility and have a car so no money and low rate care on dla so all I get is 85 pounds a mth now that's it and at the moment we get for his esa 69 pounds per week until they change it with p45 proof. what I want to know is if he dose not get the esa or pip after the assement is there anything I can claim I have to more or less look after him but cant get carer for him unless he gets the pip and we can not cope on the little money we are getting at the moment HELPPPP plz

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hayleyd

Welcome to the community.

We have an online benefits calculator that might help you. 

Sam
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Hayleyd

If your partner does not get ESA then you could claim instead, with him as your dependent partner.

You may be able to claim income support even though he is not currently getting PIP. This is because there is a rule that allows you to get income support as a carer for six months whilst the PIP application is being assessed. The six months ends when the PIP decision is made. Hopefully he will be awarded PIP daily living component and then you could probably claim carer's allowance with the option of income support. Curiously, you are likely to get slightly more through income support than through ESA at the moment but this could change if your partner is placed in the support group.

Equally if your partner is unsuccessful in getting ESA then you could make your own claim for ESA. This would be instead of income support though because you cannot claim those two benefits at the same time.

I hope this helps.
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.