Stroke — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stroke

witch
witch Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Hi all,

I am asking on behalf of my mum, she is 55, had a pulmonary embolism in march 2015, 4 strokes in 2016, she uses a stick, she carnet walk far, it affects her breathing and she gets dizzy, getting up and down stairs, she struggles with day to day living. Through the stroke and embolism. If out by herself she often gets lost. ( places  where she knows )

Her memory and speech has been affected with the stroke. generally  .Will she be in title to benefits ?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @witch welcome to the community, we have a benefits calculator you can use to check what you are entitled to.

Does your mum get any other support or care?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • witch

Hi mam , gets £87 disability benefit per month, because she has no use of her thumbs, dad and myself and sister look after mam. No outside help.

she has a speech therapist who comes I once a month. 

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Im just moving your post to the 'ask a benefits advisor' category so they can help you out with some information.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • witch
    I forgot to say , they thumbs were from an injury in 2011.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi witch,

What disability benefit is your mum getting? £87 a month is quite low so she may be entitled to other benefits. 
    She could claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if she isn't already doing so. That is a benefit for people with limited capability for work. It's points based but there are lots of activities where your mum would get points I think, for example moving around, mobilising and communicating. ESA can be based on national insurance contributions and/or on income. 

She might also be entitled to Personal Independence Payment. That is points based too but looks at tasks within the home as well as walking & finding your way around. PIP isn't based on income at all.

If she is already getting a benefit like Disability Living Allowance (DLA) please let us know which component and which rate, if you can, so we can advise you what best to do - PIP replaces DLA but it can be risky to report a change if someone is already getting DLA.

Other useful info would be your mum's work history, whether she has any savings and whether your dad lives with her, plus whether he is working.
    I would definitely recommend using the benefits calculator and then coming back to us for more advice, with a bit more info about her circumstances. Thanks!

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• witch
    Dad works full time, so mams care is between. Dad, myself and my sister.
    They have very little savings.
    DLA is what she awarded,  ( lowest rate). when she lost the use of her  thumbs.
    Roughly about 4 years go.
    Since her stokes. She had claimed nothing else. This is the only help she gets.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Witch

My colleague Will talked about DLA and  its replacement Personal Independence Payments (PIP) in her post, and that it can be a risk of informing DLA of a change given that she will be re-assessed for PIP.

You mention that your mum gets low rate DLA, if this is the low rate care component then this is for people who only need around an hours help each day or help cooking a meal.  It sounds like your mum needs a lot more care than this. 

Are you helping her dress, wash, cook, eat, remember to take medication, or does she need help or have to hold onto something to stand up from a seated position?   If so, then DLA is clearly not recognising the amount of care your mum needs.

You can contact DLA and inform them that your mums condition has got worse.  They may need to speak to your mum first though to check that you can speak on your mum's behalf.  Given that your mum has a speech therapist, would it be a problem for your mum to answer a few questions from DLA over the phone to check that you can speak on her behalf? DLA can be contacted on Telephone: 0345 605 6055. But please post again if you are unsure what to do next.  

If DLA review the award on the basis of a deterioration on your mums health,  your mum will be assessed for Personal Independence Payments (PIP).  A PIP form will be sent out to your mum, which will ask what difficulties she has at home for example with cooking, dressing, speech and also what problems she has walking or getting out of her home.  A local citizens advice bureau may be able to assist your mum complete the form.

Regards

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.